Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Pivot Table -- Text??

I don't think this is possible, but thought I'd check to be sure.

Can a pivot table display text values or must a pivot table do calculations
and only display numbers??

I am basically trying to create a report from data I pulled from MS
Project... I've got a resource name, a list of dates, and a list of projects.
I'm looking for a solution to the cross tab report "who does what when."

I want to create a pivot table that will display the dates as columns, and
the resource names as rows... and then in the data section the project name.
I want it to look something like this:

Date Date Date Date
Resource Project 1 Project2 Project3 Project4
Resource Project 2 Project2 Project3 Project1
Resource Project 1 Project2 Project3 Project4

I dont want a count or a sum... just the name of the project. Can this be
done?

-AR

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
ARBrock said:
Can a pivot table display text values or must a pivot table do calculations
and only display numbers??

I am basically trying to create a report from data I pulled from MS
Project... I've got a resource name, a list of dates, and a list of projects.
I'm looking for a solution to the cross tab report "who does what when."

I want to create a pivot table that will display the dates as columns, and
the resource names as rows... and then in the data section the project name.
I want it to look something like this:

Date Date Date Date
Resource Project 1 Project2 Project3 Project4
Resource Project 2 Project2 Project3 Project1
Resource Project 1 Project2 Project3 Project4

This is microsoft.public.excel.charting, for discussing making graphs
using Excel. It's not really the right place for questions about making
spreadsheets. Have you tried microsoft.public.excel.misc?

--
Del Cotter