Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Q: Including subtotals in a pivot chart

Hello All:

I am presenting rolling 13 weeks of data on various manufacturing
problemin our operations with a pivot chart. On the chart I would like
to show the subtotals for each problem as well but I cannot figure
out a way of doing this.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Deguza

----------------------------------- Sample pivot chart
---------------------------------------

Sum of Qty
Product Problem Week Total
Blue_gadget Assembly error 2007 12
2007 14
2007 13
2007 15
2007 16 18
2007 17 4
2007 19
2007 20 6
2007 18 10
2007 21
2007 22
2007 23
2007 24
Assembly error Total 38

[...]

Damaged part 2007 12
2007 14
2007 13
2007 15
2007 16
2007 17
2007 19
2007 20 13
2007 18
2007 21
2007 22
2007 23
2007 24
Damaged part Total 13

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting,microsoft.public.excel.misc

If the problems are unique they are each totaled. So what exactly are you
subtotalling? And since you are alluding to a rolling 13 week result what
version of Excel are you using?

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"Kompu Kid" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.charting

You can't include the totals or subtotals in a pivot chart. You could
create a normal chart, based on the pivot table, and include the totals
in that.

On Jon Peltier's site, there are instructions for creating a normal
chart from pivot data:

http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivotcharts.htm

Kompu Kid wrote:
[...]

Debra Dalgleish
Contextures
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting,microsoft.public.excel.misc

I am sorry, I misled you with my terminology. I should have said
"totals" rather than "subtotals".

I use Excel 2003. The rolling 13 weeks are contolled outside of the
pivot table: I extract the data from our Failure DB starting with the
date that will get me exactly 13 weeks. I then have a formual that
converts the date colum to the "YYYY WW" format that you see below.

Thanks

Deguza

"Kompu Kid" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.charting

I will look at Jon's site.

I also have a partial solution: Since I do not necessarily want a bar
on my chart for the total, I created a series of text boxes, Each
text box then refers to the pivot table cell that contains the values
for the totals. (I used the instructions from Excel help subject "Link
a title, label, or text box in a chart to a worksheet cell".)

This chart will be updated every week. The cells where data points are
on the pivot table will never change. So what I have above should
work. (I am keeping my fingers crossed as well!)

Deguza