Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Some charts won't let data labels to be at "Outside end"

Hello all:

In the same workbook I have several charts generated by pivot tables.

In one chart the data labels are at location "Outside end".

In the others under the "Label Position" "Outside end" does not show
as an option!

How so?

How do I fix this?

Deguza
Using excel 2003 (11.8117.8107) SP2
On Windows XP professional

Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Some charts won't let data labels to be at "Outside end"

Hi Deguza,

It's possible that the charts that don't have the "Outside end" option for data labels are using different chart types or settings. Here's how you can check and adjust the label position for each chart:
  1. Select the chart that you want to adjust the data label position for.
  2. Right-click on one of the data labels and select "Format Data Labels".
  3. In the "Format Data Labels" dialog box, click on the "Label Options" tab.
  4. Under "Label Position", select "Outside End" if it's available. If it's not available, try selecting "Inside End" or "Center" and see if that works for your chart.
  5. If none of the available options work, you can try adjusting the chart type or layout to see if that enables the "Outside End" option. For example, if your chart is currently a bar chart, try changing it to a column chart or a line chart.
  6. Once you've adjusted the label position to your liking, click "Close" to apply the changes.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Outside End is only available for unstacked bar and column charts. Stacked
bar and column charts do not offer this option. In a non pivot chart you can
use an additional series, formatted to be invisible, to display these
labels. You can also move the labels manually, or use Rob Bovey's Chart
Labeler (http://appspro.com) to move a series of labels at once.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Kompu Kid" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hello all:

In the same workbook I have several charts generated by pivot tables.

In one chart the data labels are at location "Outside end".

In the others under the "Label Position" "Outside end" does not show
as an option!

How so?

How do I fix this?

Deguza
Using excel 2003 (11.8117.8107) SP2
On Windows XP professional

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I have exactly the same type of chart. One let's me choose the
location "Outside end", the other does not... That does not let me is
not a stacked bar or column chart, either. It is a real puzzle.

Deguza

Peltier Technical Services, Inc. -http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"Kompu Kid" wrote in message

ps.com...

Hello all:

In the same workbook I have several charts generated by pivot tables.

In one chart the data labels are at location "Outside end".

In the others under the "Label Position" "Outside end" does not show
as an option!

How so?

How do I fix this?

Deguza
Using excel 2003 (11.8117.8107) SP2
On Windows XP professional

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

What kind of chart is it? How many series? If it has one series, stacked and
clustered versions of a bar or column chart are identical. Select the
series, go to Chart menu Chart Type, and see what is highlighted.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions