Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default XL2007 surface chart tesselation

When I create a flat contour chart, XL insists on making all the areas
teselated surfaces so that I get shadowing of the areas instead of a steady
single colour. I want to turn this off and get a single colour for each
contour level (like all the XLs before 2007). I can't figure out how to do
this. Can someone help me.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

You can run the following in VBA (Alt+F11, then Ctrl+G):
ActiveChart.ChartGroups(1).Has3DShading = False

You can then save this as a new template for future charts.

--
Thanks,
Christopher

"rossu" wrote:

When I create a flat contour chart, XL insists on making all the areas
teselated surfaces so that I get shadowing of the areas instead of a steady
single colour. I want to turn this off and get a single colour for each
contour level (like all the XLs before 2007). I can't figure out how to do
this. Can someone help me.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

This is an example of how the new Excel formats are nice, except when
they're not. I've spent a half hour on this, and I can't figure out how to
get away from the oblique lighting effect. I also found the new interface
for surface/contour charts difficult to use to get the orientation and
perspective I wanted.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"rossu" wrote in message
When I create a flat contour chart, XL insists on making all the areas
teselated surfaces so that I get shadowing of the areas instead of a
steady
single colour. I want to turn this off and get a single colour for each
contour level (like all the XLs before 2007). I can't figure out how to
do
this. Can someone help me.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Not available in the UI? Then I guess there's room for it in an Excel 2007
Charting add-in :-)

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"Christopher Scott [MSFT]" wrote in
message ...
You can run the following in VBA (Alt+F11, then Ctrl+G):
ActiveChart.ChartGroups(1).Has3DShading = False

You can then save this as a new template for future charts.

--
Thanks,
Christopher

rights.

"rossu" wrote:

When I create a flat contour chart, XL insists on making all the areas
teselated surfaces so that I get shadowing of the areas instead of a
steady
single colour. I want to turn this off and get a single colour for each
contour level (like all the XLs before 2007). I can't figure out how to
do
this. Can someone help me.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Well, I got in this morning and fired up XL ready to Chris's suggestion and
lo and behold all the tessaltion was gone from my graphs. Presumably in my
ramblings yesterday I had shut off the necessary bit. The only difference
between today and yesterday is that I shut down XL when I went home (and I
had the problem) and I fired it up this morning. I have no idea, what
actually fixed the problem and I haven't tried Chris's fix. I have found two
nasty bugs though that I'm about to post.

I'ld sure like to know the answer to this one though, a I'm sureI'm going to
want to do more of this kind of graph.