Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default adding data to chart

I have Excel 2000 and am have a line chart with quarterly data from 2002 to
now. When adding the 1Q07 data to my chart, the computer won't accept the
new cells and erases all the data for that particular series. I've tried
starting over with the same results. Any suggestions to get around this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Please say more. Your original words are subject to various interpretations.

There are 21 quarters from 2001 to Q1 2007. A line chart has no difficulty
displaying much more than 21 x-categories in a single series. Also, a line
chart has no difficulty displaying much more than 21 data series.

Particularly puzzling is your statement that it "erases all the data for
that particular series". If you mean that the worksheet cells are emptied of
data, then there is likely a macro running behind the scenes that is doing
the deed.

Jerry

"lisa721" wrote:

I have Excel 2000 and am have a line chart with quarterly data from 2002 to
now. When adding the 1Q07 data to my chart, the computer won't accept the
new cells and erases all the data for that particular series. I've tried
starting over with the same results. Any suggestions to get around this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

The data is not erased from the worksheet; it disappears from the value field
in the "Source Data" box. In the "source data" box, when I click to add the
cell with the new data, all the previous data in the field is gone. I am not
using macros; the line chart displays 3 series with the dates listed on the X
axis. I hope this clarifies your questions.

"lisa721" wrote:

I have Excel 2000 and am have a line chart with quarterly data from 2002 to
now. When adding the 1Q07 data to my chart, the computer won't accept the
new cells and erases all the data for that particular series. I've tried
starting over with the same results. Any suggestions to get around this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Are you adding one cell at a time, using Ctrl+click? This is a fragile way
of adding data. The best way is first to make sure the data is in a
contiguous range (no blank rows or columns in between data for adjacent
quarters), then stretching the range to accommodate the new values. When you
select a series, the source data is highlighted with colored rectangles, and
these rectangles can be manipulated with the mouse to change the source data
of the series.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP