Kev

Default histogram or pie chart or?

Greetings from the UK...

I have a list of around 1000 numbers, all integers whose values can range
from 1 through to 4000. Most of these numbers repeat themselves in the
list .
What I want to do is produce a chart showing the number of times each
descrete number appears , its value and the percentage of times it appears
in the list .
I think ( dangerous for me !) I should be looking at a histogram or a even a
pie chart but so far my attempts (using the data analysis and chart
wizards) are not what I want.

As an example a list of 12 numbers could be 2, 3, 2, 4, 2, 4, 2, 2, 4,
2, 4,3 and what I want to get to is a chart showing that:
"2" appeared 6 times in the list equating to 50% of the 12 entries,
"4" appeared 4 times in the list equating to 33.3% of the12 entries,
"3 " appeared 2 times in the list equating to 16.6% of the 12 entries

value anyones help.

Jon Peltier

I agree that you probably want a histogram. I have a page that explains
a few ways to make a histogram:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Histograms.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Kev wrote:

[...]

Kev

hmmm?
Its the BIN range thats got me confused...

My example of the 12 numbers 2, 3, 2, 4, 2, 4, 2, 2, 4, 2, 4,3 appears
in cell ranges B1:B12

A B C
1 2
2 3
3 2
4 4
5 2
6 4
7 2
8 2
9 4
10 2
11 4
12 3

I then use the data analysis tool and select the INPUT range , as
$BS1:$B$12, .
Now I want the x axis (the Bins) on the histogram to show 3 columns, namely
2, 3, and 4 . So I put into the BIN range "2.0,3.0,4.0" but excel returns
an error with the formula message??

I agree3 that you probably want a histogram. I have a page that explains a

Kev wrote:

[...]

Tushar Mehta

Put the bin values (i.e., 2, 3, and 4) in 3 adjacent cells in a column.
Then, specify that range as the 'bin range'.

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article , "Kev" <ooooooooo