Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Switch Primary and Secondary Y Axes

I have a chart that has two Y-axes, the primary on the left and the secondary
on the right. Is there a way to flip these axes without recreating the
chart? In other words, get the secondary axis to be on the left and the
primary on the right?

Much appreciated!

Raph
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

No, the primary is on the left, but you can shift the series currently on
the secondary to be primary, and then shift the series which are currently
on the primary to secondary.
--
David Biddulph

"Raph" wrote in message
I have a chart that has two Y-axes, the primary on the left and the
secondary
on the right. Is there a way to flip these axes without recreating the
chart? In other words, get the secondary axis to be on the left and the
primary on the right?

Much appreciated!

Raph

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Yes, you can switch them, but you'll have to temporarily introduce the
secondary X axis (which Excel doesn't add by default).

Go to Chart menu Chart Options Axes tab, check the same option of
Secondary Category (X) Axis that is checked for Primary Category (X) Axis.

Double click the primary X axis (bottom of the chart) and on the Scale tab,
check Value (Y) Axis Crosses at Maximum Category.

Double click the secondary X axis (top of the chart) and on the Scale tab,
UN-check Value (Y) Axis Crosses at Maximum Category.

Go to Chart menu Chart Options Axes tab, UN-check the option of
Secondary Category (X) Axis that you selected above.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"Raph" wrote in message
I have a chart that has two Y-axes, the primary on the left and the
secondary
on the right. Is there a way to flip these axes without recreating the
chart? In other words, get the secondary axis to be on the left and the
primary on the right?

Much appreciated!

Raph

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

On Mar 9, 12:42 pm, "Jon Peltier"
wrote:
Yes, you can switch them, but you'll have to temporarily introduce the
secondary X axis (which Excel doesn't add by default).

Go to Chart menu Chart Options Axes tab, check the same option of
Secondary Category (X) Axis that is checked for Primary Category (X) Axis.

Double click the primary X axis (bottom of the chart) and on the Scale tab,
check Value (Y) Axis Crosses at Maximum Category.

Double click the secondary X axis (top of the chart) and on the Scale tab,
UN-check Value (Y) Axis Crosses at Maximum Category.

Go to Chart menu Chart Options Axes tab, UN-check the option of
Secondary Category (X) Axis that you selected above.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutionshttp://PeltierTech.com
_______

This worked well; thank you. But the gridlines are still aligned with
what used to be the primary Y axis (and is now the secondary Y axis).
How can I get the gridlines to line up with the new primary axis?
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

This worked perfectly for my situation, but now I'd like to reverse the order
of the legend entries so that the legend reference on the left corresponds
with the left axis (and, consequently, the right reference matches the right
axis). How? I'm getting a headache.

"Raph" wrote in message
I have a chart that has two Y-axes, the primary on the left and the
secondary
on the right. Is there a way to flip these axes without recreating the
chart? In other words, get the secondary axis to be on the left and the
primary on the right?

Much appreciated!

Raph

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi Jon,

I'd like to switch the legend entries. As it is now, the legend entry,
which I've place on top of the chart, has "% of Entries" on the left and "#
of Entries" on the right; but the % axis is on the right, which, of course,
means the # axis on the left--which is the way I want them. I just wish I
could force the legend entries to swap sides.

You have a great website, by the way.

Thanks for any help,

Mark

"Raph" wrote in message
I have a chart that has two Y-axes, the primary on the left and the
secondary
on the right. Is there a way to flip these axes without recreating the
chart? In other words, get the secondary axis to be on the left and
the
primary on the right?

Much appreciated!

Raph

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I now see a glaring lack of clarity in my original post (apologies). I
should have said "Legend" (singular). I want the references in the legend
(which refer to the Y axes) to correspond to the axes themselves; that is, '#
of A' is on the left axis, '% of A' is on the right, but in the legend text
box, the # is on the right and % on the left. No idea if this clarifies.
It's a mush to me now.

"Raph" wrote in message
I have a chart that has two Y-axes, the primary on the left and the
secondary
on the right. Is there a way to flip these axes without recreating the
chart? In other words, get the secondary axis to be on the left and
the
primary on the right?

Much appreciated!

Raph

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

If you go back to the post you first replied to on 8/15, you will see the
steps to switch axes. Plot the items you want on top of the legend on the
secondary axis, and put the secondary Y axis on the left.

Sometimes when a chart gets complicated like this, it's easier to create a
new one with the series in the order and on the axes you need. Then ditch
the old chart.

- Jon
-------

"Rutabaga" wrote in message
I now see a glaring lack of clarity in my original post (apologies). I
should have said "Legend" (singular). I want the references in the legend
(which refer to the Y axes) to correspond to the axes themselves; that is,
'#