Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Text boxes over charts

I have prepared a chart [XY (Scatter)] for a report, and labeled selected
regions of the chart with text boxes. When the chart is not selected, the
text boxes are visible, as desired. When I select the chart to copy and
paste into my Word document, the text boxes disappear.

I presume that the chart itself comes into the foreground with the text
boxes in the background, but I have not found any acceptable way to make the
text boxes show up on the chart in the Word document. I have looked at the
text box properties and cannot find any option that would make them always on
top. The chart options do not include anything that would make it
sufficiently transparent so that the text boxes would still be visible when
the chart is selected. The picture editor in Word messes up the chart
unacceptably.

The one kludge that sort of works is to paste the graph into Word, then
copy/paste each text box as an individual enhanced meta file picture, and
anchor them to the Word paragraph that contains the graph so that they at
least move with the graph as I edit the report.

Is there a better way?

Jerry
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi Jerry,

You need to embed the textboxes within the chart object.
For the textboxes you have already create the simplest thing is to
select them all and the CTRL+X. Now select the chart and CTRL+V. You can
now copy the chart and textboxes over to word.

For new textboxes just make sure the chart is active when adding
textboxes either via the Drawing toolbar or simply typing and pressing
enter.

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi Andy,
I have a stacked 3-D effect column chart, which has the same problem as
Jerry's - the text boxes disappear when I select the graph to copy and paste
into word. Can u help?

Jerry W. Lewis wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Answered in your other post, using the same suggestion as Andy provided in
the thread you copied this from.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP