Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Showing data table on a chart - How do I edit the info?

I have a line chart and I set it to show the data table under chart options.
In the left most column, it says "Series 1", "Series 2", and "Series 3" from
top to bottom. How do I get rid of that?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I think all you can do, since you can't edit the contents of a data table,
is to change the name of each series to " ". It might be easier to construct
a custom data table in the worksheet (not in the chart) with links to the
data, so you can lay out, format, and edit the table however you like.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"Tony Law" wrote in message
I have a line chart and I set it to show the data table under chart
options.
In the left most column, it says "Series 1", "Series 2", and "Series 3"
from
top to bottom. How do I get rid of that?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

I prefer to display the equivalent of the data table in the spreadsheet
because you have complete control, as Jon suggested. You can then put your
chart above this area or you can shoot a picture of the area and paste in on
the chart. Use the Camera tool is creates references which are dynamic.

1. You can also reference an empty cell for the name. Select the chart and
choose Chart, Source Data, Series, pick the series in the Series box and then
change the Name box reference to an empty cell.
2. Far less satisfactory is to place a rectangle over the series names and
color its border and fill to match the chart's.
3. You can set the chart area and the Font background for the data table to
transparent, then set the font color to white for the data table. Now set
the spreadsheet color behind the data table's values to the color you want to
see in the chart but the area behind the data lable name leave white. Remove
gridlines from the spreadsheet if necessary. This just has to be a terrible
method!

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire