Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
my my is offline

Default Graph using data from multiple files

Hi,

I've reached the last column in my file and I need my graph to continue
graphing combing two files. Is this possible? So for example, my current
file ends in column IV, data is ends 12/31/06. I need to keep graphing for
the new year also. Is there a way to start a new file, data begins 1/1/07 and
have the chart graph continuously?

Thanks in advance!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

This may give you some insight:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsH...iffSheets.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"my" wrote in message

I've reached the last column in my file and I need my graph to continue
graphing combing two files. Is this possible? So for example, my current
file ends in column IV, data is ends 12/31/06. I need to keep graphing
for
the new year also. Is there a way to start a new file, data begins 1/1/07
and
have the chart graph continuously?

Thanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
my my is offline

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the link. I tried to add a new series following the instructions
below:

[Suppose you still need to plot data that has Y Values on three different
sheets, for example monthly statistics for three different years, where each
year is on a different sheet. You have two options:

1. Use a different series for each sheet's data, or
2. Create a summary sheet, with links to the three data sheets, and chart
the data on the summary sheet.

The first of these is straightforward. Add a series as described above, then
select its data range from the appropriate sheet. Or copy the data, select
the chart, and use Paste Special from the Edit menu to add the copied data as
a new series. Format the different series to have the same formats (same
markers, colors, etc.) so they appear to be from the same data source.]

I used the first method. But when I add the new series, it plots from the
beginning of the graph instead of seamlessly continuing from the end of the
first series. So for example, my first data series is linked from Workbook1,
F1:IV1. (date range 4/26/06 through 12/31/06). The new series should
continue (date range 1/1/07 through 1/3/07) linked from Workbook2, F1: F3.
But the new series starts from 4/26/06 of the graph. So the new series does
not continue from the first series and appears to be a new series on its own.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

"my" wrote in message

I've reached the last column in my file and I need my graph to continue
graphing combing two files. Is this possible? So for example, my current
file ends in column IV, data is ends 12/31/06. I need to keep graphing
for
the new year also. Is there a way to start a new file, data begins 1/1/07
and
have the chart graph continuously?

Thanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

In many chart types (line, column, area, etc.), the category labels from the
first series are used for all series in the chart. You could make an XY
chart if the X values are numeric, because XY series use independent X
values. Or you might have to use a consolidation sheet, where you've padded
the data with blank cells (read with nonproportional font):
2006 2007
2006Q1 X
2006Q2 X
2006Q3 X