Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.powerpoint

Default Create simple line graph in Excel!!!!!

Ok, I've struggled with this far too long now.
And abandoned the task a number of times over the past year.
So, I'm going to ask you now.

I have two columns of data:

u a
v b
w c
x d
y e
z f
etc.

Where u to z, and a to f represent numbers.

I want to see a simple graph with one column representing the
X axis, and the other column, representing the Y axis.

And a line, showing the relationship between the two.

It should be simple right? Unfortunately, it hasn't.

I've tried to create a scatter graph with lines.
And a line graph.

But excel just doesn't want to cooperate.
It wants to make each column a separate line.
Not the axis.

What is the secret please? I'm using Excel 97.

Thanks a lot!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.powerpoint

First of all, at least the Y values must be numerical. You can apply a fake
axis with other labels after plotting the numbers:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Y_CategoryAxis.html
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/DotPlot.html

Second, if you are making a line chart, if Excel doesn't detect a difference
between the two columns (to indicate that the left column is for category
labels), it plots them both as Y values for separate line series. One way to
make the columns different is to put a label over the second column, and
keep the cell over the first column blank.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.powerpoint

over a whole year and
you still can't get it right on
graph paper or your computer.

try transposing your columns
into rows, add another row for
a time line/column names, then create your
graph with the wizard....

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.powerpoint

Select the two columns (your cells u to f).
Insert/ Chart/ XY Scatter
Choose version with lines
Data in columns

That should work, but if not: Edit Source data and put your cells u to z as
your X series, and a to f as your Y series.
--
David Biddulph

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.powerpoint

Ok, I got it. I found a spreadsheet on the web, and
checked it out.

The secret is, within the Source Data, there is:
- a single series
- both the X and Y values are assigned to the same series.

Not two series as I was attempting.

Too bad that Microsoft doesn't make this obvious anywhere.
Graphs line these are very common.

Thanks for responding.