Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Fi Fi is offline

Default Charting Time formats

I am trying to chart some times in a bar chart the first column lists 3 queue
types in a benefit office to be used as the legend. The second column has a
times listed against the 3 queues formatted into hours and minutes. When I
try to create a bar chart based on this simple data, the chart wizard does
not pick up the data of the series so shows a blank chart.

Any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I wonder what your data actually looks like. Would you care to post a
sample? Just copy it and paste it into a reply.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"Fi" wrote in message
I am trying to chart some times in a bar chart the first column lists 3
queue
types in a benefit office to be used as the legend. The second column has
times listed against the 3 queues formatted into hours and minutes. When
try to create a bar chart based on this simple data, the chart wizard does
not pick up the data of the series so shows a blank chart.

Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Fi Fi is offline

Jon, the format was Excel 2000. Here is part of the table of data.

Contact Area Tickets Taken Walkaways Customers Dealt with Queries Dealt
with Longest Serving Time
Queue 1 Benefits 559 33 526 550 0:52:00
Queue 2 Council Tax 332 46 286 308 0:38:00
Queue 3 Housing 798 171 627 627 2:11:00
Totals 1689 250 1439 1485

I wanted to be able highlight just the first column (Contact Area) and then
the last column (Longest Serving Time) to show a bar chart as comparison. I
have recreated the data in a new sheet and it worked so I am thinking the
data maybe corrupt in this sheet (inherited from another dept).

Any thoughts you may have gratefully received.

"Fi" wrote in message
I am trying to chart some times in a bar chart the first column lists 3
queue
types in a benefit office to be used as the legend. The second column has
times listed against the 3 queues formatted into hours and minutes. When
try to create a bar chart based on this simple data, the chart wizard does
not pick up the data of the series so shows a blank chart.

Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

The data as you pasted and I copied is fine. But to ensure the proper data
is selected, delete the contents of the top left cell. Suppose the data is
in A1:F5, clear cell A1. Now select A1:A4 (yes, including the blank cell),
hold CTRL while selecting F1:F4, and use the chart wizard to make your
chart. The blank cell helps Excel to parse the data, by showing that the top
row (series names) and first column (categories) are different from the
rest.

- Jon
-------

"Fi" wrote in message
I am trying to chart some times in a bar chart the first column lists 3
queue
types in a benefit office to be used as the legend. The second column
has
times listed against the 3 queues formatted into hours and minutes.
When
try to create a bar chart based on this simple data, the chart wizard
does
not pick up the data of the series so shows a blank chart.

Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Fi Fi is offline

Jon
Many thanks for your response which I followed to the t but I could not get
the Chart Wizard to pick up the data for the time column (Longest Time) it
just presents a blank sheet. Am I missing something?
Any ideas gratefully received.