Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
sb sb is offline

Default Combination chart type

Is there a way to combine Cluster and stacked column Chart types? Showing
some data series in the stacked column and other in another tacked column and
than both side to side as a clustered column.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

SB

There are several sites that will show you techniques for using clustered
and stacked bar charts.

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/index.html

http://www.andypope.info/charts.htm

http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/ExcelTips.htm

From a data visualization standpoint, stacked and clustered bar charts are
not the best choice. Cleveland's chart interpretation research has shown
that chart readers can interprete position along identical, non aligned
scales better than length.

This page gives a brief introduction to data visualization with Excel and
the does and don'ts of Excel charting. Just because Excel has a
clustered/stacked chart capability doesn't mean that you should use it.

http://processtrends.com/TOC_data_visualization.htm

As an alternative to stacked/clustered bar charts, I suggest panel charts,
comparable to Tufte's small multiples or Cleveland's trellis charts.

http://processtrends.com/toc_panel_charts.htm

If you'd like to try panel charts, let me know and I will be glad to walk
you through the process.

Here's my anti-spam e-mail address. Remove the extra characters if you would
like to contact me.

***remove*this**