-   -   bar graph with varying Y scales (https://www.excelbanter.com/charts-charting-excel/110027-bar-graph-varying-y-scales.html)

[email protected]

bar graph with varying Y scales

My goal is to make a bar graph where each X value has three y values --
two of which are a "range" and the other is the actual data point.
Something like this:

-- X
--
x --

-- x --

I can't see any clear way to do that. Unfortunately I'd also prefer
that each X value have a different Y-Scale (as each column isn't
necessarily compared against another) It's more important to see the
value within the range.

I hope the above is clear

Blue Aardvark

bar graph with varying Y scales

First make your data in a table with the following columns (in this order!)
MaxRange, MinRange, Actual

Then plot the graph as a Custom Type "Line-Column".

To get the actuals to appear as points, just format the line as single Points.

To get the bars to appear as ranges. On their for format menu, go to options
and set the Overlap to 100. Now make the Lower range bar the same colour as
the background and it will magically appear like a floating range (when it is
really just a short bar drawn over a taller bar)

[email protected]

bar graph with varying Y scales

Okay, your'e awesome! What about the second hard part? :)

I'd like the Y-range of each X-value to be different -- is that
possible?

Blue Aardvark wrote:
First make your data in a table with the following columns (in this order!)
MaxRange, MinRange, Actual

Then plot the graph as a Custom Type "Line-Column".

To get the actuals to appear as points, just format the line as single Points.

To get the bars to appear as ranges. On their for format menu, go to options
and set the Overlap to 100. Now make the Lower range bar the same colour as
the background and it will magically appear like a floating range (when it is
really just a short bar drawn over a taller bar)

Blue Aardvark

bar graph with varying Y scales

Maybe the simplest thing would be to just re-scale all your data before you
turn it into charts.

Or you could draw lots of charts next to each other (put your chart in an
excel sheet and you can copy and paste it and change the data source - far
quicker than following all my steps again).