Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default How do I create a stacked column/line chart combination?

I am trying to format a line/stacked column combination chart. I want to
show the delay on each of several machines as a stacked column, and then I
want to show a line representing the goal for the down time, the goal being a
set value, so the line will be straight across.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Simples way is to plot all the data, stacked columns plus one series for the
horizontal line, as a stacked column chart. Select the series that should be
the line, choose Chart Type on the Chart menu, and pick out a line chart
style.

A bit more involved is to add a line using an XY series of two points, or an
XY series of one point with an error bar:

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"Cori" wrote in message
I am trying to format a line/stacked column combination chart. I want to
show the delay on each of several machines as a stacked column, and then I
want to show a line representing the goal for the down time, the goal
being a
set value, so the line will be straight across.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Maybe my problem lies in how I am plotting my data. I can make a stacked
column, but I guess I'm not sure where I need to be putting my data that I
want displayed as a line. The line will be straight across, it is simply a
down time report that shows the amount of down time on different machines,
which is what I want stacked, and then the line would represent the allowable
maximum goal for the down time, which is one set value. So I am showing each
machine's time stacked, compared to the goal.

"Cori" wrote in message
I am trying to format a line/stacked column combination chart. I want to
show the delay on each of several machines as a stacked column, and then I
want to show a line representing the goal for the down time, the goal
being a
set value, so the line will be straight across.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

If your data can make a stacked column chart with the line's data included
at first as another stack in the column, then it's arranged appropriately,
and you only have to change the series type as I've described. If the data
for the line is not connected in the sheet with the other data, you can add
it to the chart, either using Copy/Paste Special or Chart menu Source Data
Series tab Add button.

- Jon
-------