Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default How to select an axis that is covered by data points?

In some chart I would like to adjust some parameters of the X-axis (esp.
the minimum and maximum, since the values choosen automatically are a
bit "uneven" and it would be nice to have a range of 0..20'000 and
tickmarks at 5'000, 10'000 etc, than an axis of 1..17495 and tickmarks
at other odd numbers.

But my charts has 20000 data points and many of those lie on or very
near the X-axis. So, how can I select the X-axis itself (in order to be
able to do a right-click and then select "Format Axis")? Whenever I try
to select the axis I only select the data series. And there seems no way
to adjust the axis' properties via the menu.

Michael

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Michael Moser:

I recommend that you use the Chart menu, I find it a major time saver.

This post gives you info on how to set up the chart menu so that you can
access it when you want.

http://processtrends.com/pg_chart_tips.htm#Chart_Menu

Kelly

remove *'s for e-mail

"Michael Moser" wrote:

In some chart I would like to adjust some parameters of the X-axis (esp.
the minimum and maximum, since the values choosen automatically are a
bit "uneven" and it would be nice to have a range of 0..20'000 and
tickmarks at 5'000, 10'000 etc, than an axis of 1..17495 and tickmarks
at other odd numbers.

But my charts has 20000 data points and many of those lie on or very
near the X-axis. So, how can I select the X-axis itself (in order to be
able to do a right-click and then select "Format Axis")? Whenever I try
to select the axis I only select the data series. And there seems no way
to adjust the axis' properties via the menu.

Michael

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Kelly -

Minor point: That's actually the Chart Toolbar. The Chart menu is in the
menu bar between Tools and Window when a chart is active.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"Michael Moser" wrote:

In some chart I would like to adjust some parameters of the X-axis (esp.
the minimum and maximum, since the values choosen automatically are a
bit "uneven" and it would be nice to have a range of 0..20'000 and
tickmarks at 5'000, 10'000 etc, than an axis of 1..17495 and tickmarks
at other odd numbers.

But my charts has 20000 data points and many of those lie on or very
near the X-axis. So, how can I select the X-axis itself (in order to be
able to do a right-click and then select "Format Axis")? Whenever I try
to select the axis I only select the data series. And there seems no way
to adjust the axis' properties via the menu.

Michael

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
HEK HEK is offline

Michael, you can select your dat series (or any other element in yr chart)
and then use the arrow keys to "walk through" your chart elements until you
arrive at the one you want to edit/re-format. As long you hv not too many
plotted series this shld work.
HTH,
Henk