Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
orm orm is offline

Default histogram error

i am trying to create a histogram. everytime i put in the input range i get
an error saying input range must be a contiguous reference. also i am trying
to go from one sheet to another which it keeps telling me that that name is
not valid. anyone got some ideas
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Tushar,

I am having the exact same error but I know my input is contiguous. My
histogram output and bins are in Sheet4 and my data I'm trying to
perform the histogram are on Sheet5. And once I get there error it
changes the input range to [Filename]Sheet5R2C5:R50C5 even though I'm
not using the R:C format.

Any ideas?
-Melissa

Tushar Mehta wrote:
In article ,
says...
i am trying to create a histogram. everytime i put in the input range i get
an error saying input range must be a contiguous reference. also i am trying
to go from one sheet to another which it keeps telling me that that name is
not valid. anyone got some ideas

Well, the input range must be a single contiguous range. It's a requirement
for this tool.

I am not sure what "trying to go from one sheet to another" means. Does it
mean the histogram (i.e., the result of the tool) is to be on another sheet?
If so, select the 'Output Range' option, then click the cell in the other
sheet where you want the results.

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Apparently, the the Histogram's 'Output Range' cannot be on another sheet.
And, the error handling definitely leaves a lot to be desired.

The trick is to start with the sheet that will be the destination for the
histogram. With that as the active sheet, use Tools | Data Analysis... |
Histogram. Now, click in the Input Range field and switch to the actual
data sheet, and specify the range. For the Output, specify a range on the
sheet that was the active sheet when you started the Histogram tool.

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article .com,
says...
Tushar,

I am having the exact same error but I know my input is contiguous. My
histogram output and bins are in Sheet4 and my data I'm trying to
perform the histogram are on Sheet5. And once I get there error it
changes the input range to [Filename]Sheet5R2C5:R50C5 even though I'm
not using the R:C format.

Any ideas?
-Melissa

Tushar Mehta wrote:
In article ,
says...
i am trying to create a histogram. everytime i put in the input range i get
an error saying input range must be a contiguous reference. also i am trying
to go from one sheet to another which it keeps telling me that that name is
not valid. anyone got some ideas

Well, the input range must be a single contiguous range. It's a requirement
for this tool.

I am not sure what "trying to go from one sheet to another" means. Does it
mean the histogram (i.e., the result of the tool) is to be on another sheet?
If so, select the 'Output Range' option, then click the cell in the other
sheet where you want the results.

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
orm orm is offline

the problem that Melissa was having is the exact same as mine. i finnally got
it figured out by taking the data and putting into another sheet and making a
histogram from there.

"Tushar Mehta" wrote:

[...]

Tushar Mehta wrote:
In article ,