Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Dynamic chart question

I understand using the offset and named range

However, when I go into the data range (of the chart) and try to put in the
range that I created - it doesn't stick. Meaning I can type in the range
name - hit okay and when go back to date range the name is not there

What am I doing wrong?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I do it through the Series tab instead of Data Range tab of the Source Data
dialog. I enter the range name in the Values window (X Values and Y Values if
XYScatter). You need to preface the name with the workbook name. If you enter
the worksheet name instead of the wb name it will typically change it but
won't raise an error. For example:

='Sales Report.xls'!DataRng

where DataRng is the range name.

Regards,
Greg

"Brad" wrote:

I understand using the offset and named range

However, when I go into the data range (of the chart) and try to put in the
range that I created - it doesn't stick. Meaning I can type in the range
name - hit okay and when go back to date range the name is not there

What am I doing wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

You can set the source data using a defined name in the Data Range tab, but
it is converted to the cell address, as you've discovered.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions