Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Fiona[_5_] Fiona[_5_] is offline

Default User name & password access to Excel files in a folder

I agree with Harlan. I do this all the time. Windows takes care of security
with no problems.

"Harlan Grove" wrote in message
"gocush" wrote...
You can easily do this independent of Network access:

Really? How do you prevent 'unauthorized' users from accessing these files
using Explorer, then opening them directly? For that matter, how do you
prevent users from accessing the username and password data stored in the
master worksheet?

Without network access restrictions, anyone could open these files. Given
that, why would it make sense for 'authorized' users to be the only
potential users who'd need to enter username and password to load them?

I believe the key phrase in the OP's message was 'restrict access'.

There's
no way to do that in Excel alone. The server OS must be used to restrict
file access. All Excel alone can do is provide a nearly worthless

appearance
of restricted access while actually doing nothing to truly restrict

access.

As for anything involving Auto_Open or Workbook_Open, all a user has to do
is turn off macros, and there's no more access control.

For real security you need to use software that can provide real security.
Most server OSs can provide some. Excel provides next to none.