Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Harlan Grove Harlan Grove is offline

Default Excel as a development Platform? pros and cons?

"Freddy" wrote...
Can somebody please enumerate through the pros and cons of developing an
application completely in Excel? By this I am referring to hijacking the
user interface and adding custom menus, toolbars, data validation etc etc.
I'd like your analysis to be based on a commercial grade application with
extremely complex calculations as opposed to a simple "mortgage

calculator".

Pros
- Excel provides a very capable grid control.
- If all calculations can be done using worksheet formulas, it may be much
more efficient in terms of development time and execution time.

Cons
- It's not exactly impossible to break macros.
- If users disable macros, apps such as you describe can't load their own
interfaces. This also leads to a lack of security.