Scott

Hey bj,

What I actually need to do is check for both the name and an X in a
particular column. The worksheet I am working with has a list of names, and
four columns that indicate which week a person is attending an event. I have
a summary sheet I am preparing that I want to look-up instances of the
person's name and which week they are involved. So I have to check for both
cases, appearance of the name and an x in the week one column to return an
"OK" in the summary sheet.

I know this is confusing. If I can email you an example let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Scott

"bj" wrote:

try If you want to enter the name in Cell C1 and have D1 give the result
in D1 enter a
=if(Vlookup(C1,$A$1:$B$99,2,false)="X","OK","nope"
and in C1 enter the name
"Scott" wrote:

This might be hard to explain...

I want to check a sheet for a persons name AND if an X is entered in an
associated cell. In literal terms the IF statement would be as follows:

IF ("John Doe" is found in range A1:A99 AND there is an X in field B1, THEN
"OK")

The X would appear in the same row as the name in the range, for example:
Field A1 contains "John Doe" and field B1 contains "X".

How would I make this work?

Thanks,

Scott