Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Laphan[_2_] Laphan[_2_] is offline

Default Good guide for Excel/Query/SQL

Hi Guys

Any ideas??

Laphan wrote in message
Hi Guys

Thanks for the prompt replies.

The background info is that the company I work for develops an accounts
software package using SQL server as the RDBMS.

We've (or more realistically I've) basically been backed into a corner to
extract certain data out of this SQL database to report and display the data
in a certain way for an IntraStat report.

The reason for this is that our software currently isn't geared up for
IntraStat, but because the user only uses limited parts of the system (ie,
there are quite a number of unused fields that we can re-use) and a lot the
requirements seem to be there in the db to start with, we are trying to
'fudge' a solution to meet a tight deadline.

From my point of view, I want to have a far better grasp on Excel's VBA side
so that I can produce the queries and reporting needed without it just being
a case of using the less dynamic Ms Query Wizard.

Like I said before, I know how to do ADO connections, commands and
recordsets in ASP, but what is the syntax for Excel VBA?

A quick example of what I can't fathom is, how do I query say table 1, put
it's data in the worksheet starting from cell A1, put a blank row in after
this data, query data from table 2 and put this data in after the blank
line?

How do I know where the 1st query's data lines end?

Many thanks.

Rgds

Laphan

Ray at <%=sLocation% <myfirstname at lane 34 . komm wrote in message

"Patrick Molloy" wrote in message
VBA and ASP are both VB deriavtives ( loosely) and IMHO
I'd say that VBA offers greater functionality than ASP.
That of course depends on the application to a degree.

Just to be picky, ASP is in no way a derivitate of VB, since VB is a
language, and ASP is a technology, not a language.

Okay, that's enough from me.

Ray at home