Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
noname[_2_] noname[_2_] is offline

Default Help: foreign key reference in Excel

Hi there,

I want to do a simple "foreign key reference" in Excel. I have a
worksheet storing product information, which has a "product ID" column
and a "product Price" column. We often need to create new worksheets
for quotations. In the new worksheet, I will type in the product items
our customers want, and I want a quick and easy way to fill up the
price column in my quotation worksheet. It shhould work very similarly
to a database foreign key reference.

Some special features in my case:
1. We prefer not to create a database to do this
2. The "product information" table is not accurate, and the "product
ID" column cannot be a true primary key column. For example, products
coming from different suppliers may have the same product ID; and
different workers may use slightly different product IDs, such as
"MS-1001" vs. "MS 1001" vs. "MS1001". If the solution can be in a way
intelligent to recognize this, it would be great.
3. We don't want to make the solution over-complicated, such as
spending thousands of hours to develop an application for this.

Your generous help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Richard