Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tom Ogilvy Tom Ogilvy is offline

Default Is range a valid address?

Original question was about a string:

I need a bullet proof function to which I can send a
variable to see whether it contains a valid cell/range
**address**.

Tom Ogilvy

Bob Phillips wrote in message
Hi Vasant,

Ah yes .. but is a range address a range?

Seriously though, a good suggestion. Trouble is, a valid range, or not a
range address gives an error. The best I could come up with is this messy
alternative

Function IsRange(inRange) As Boolean
IsRange = TypeName(inRange) = "Range"
If Not IsRange Then
IsRange = False
On Error Resume Next
IsRange = TypeName(Range(inRange)) = "Range"
End If
End Function

Regards

Bob

"Vasant Nanavati" <vasantn *AT* aol *DOT* com wrote in message
Hi Bob:

Or perhaps:

Function IsRange(addrRange As String) As Boolean
IsRange = TypeName(Range(addrRange)) = "Range"
End Function

just to avoid confusion between range objects and range addresses.

Regards,

Vasant.

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"pk" wrote in message

Hello, hope someone can help?

I need a bullet proof function to which I can send a
variable to see whether it contains a valid cell/range
address.

As you all know range addresses may vary quite a bit:

A:A
$1:8
C$5
R27:$AC$4759

etc.

Perhaps in another function, to test if a variable
contains a valid named range?

Your example code would be most appreciated. Thanks in
advance.