Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Chip Pearson Chip Pearson is offline

Default Locking/Unlocking a VBA Project in 2000 vs '97 - Difference?

Rob,

You can't open in 97 projects that are password protected in 2000. You have
to use 2000 or later to open the project. It isn't a problem as such; the
later versions use a different and stronger method of encoding the password
and therefore earlier versions can't open the project.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"RobNew" wrote in message
Don't know whether or not this is the proper place for this, but tried it

in
the Word VBA-General NG (same problem whether Word or Excel) and haven't

had
any response (I'm not impatient, but I posted it On Oct 28th).

Is there a known problem with locking a VBA project in Office 2000 and
trying to unlock it in Office '97?
(ie (Project/Module) Properies-Protection-"Lock Project for Viewing")

Because I wanted to prevent the user (another organization) from monkeying
around I thought it seemed straightforward enough when I did it on my home
machine (Off 2000). Worked fine, popped up a password dialogue box and
opened it when I supplied the password.

Zipped/Sent the file to work and attempted to modify it on Off '97.
All I get is a "Project is Unviewable" message (no password box -

nothing).

I opened it on a 2000 m/c at work and it worked fine.

Is there a secret?

Rob