Bob

I renamed and deleted the book.xls file in the XLStart folder and it still
opens both files.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

If you have a book.xls in your xlstart folder (really .xls), move it (or delete
it).

You may be hiding the extensions. It's a windows setting that can be toggled.

In win98, I open windows explorer,
click on Tools|folder options|view tab

And make sure "Hide file extensions for known file types" is not checked.

I think it makes using the pc safer to show extensions. If you get a file that
looks like:
readme.txt, it may really be readme.txt.exe (with the .exe hidden).

A lot of virus/worms can get installed this way.

bob wrote:

It says book1 not book1.xls. I looked in the xlstart folder, but it only had
the book.xls file in it. Does this help?

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Does that book1.xls really have the extension .xls?

If yes, use windows start button to search for your xlstart folder.

If there's a file named book1.xls in there, move it or delete it.

Don't delete any file named book.xlt or sheet.xlt.

If that doesn't work, use windows start button|search to look for book1.xls.

When you find it, move it or delete it.

Bob wrote:

When I open an excel file it opens my file and a book1.xls workbook as well,
how do I make it stop?

--

Dave Peterson

--