Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Nigel[_5_] Nigel[_5_] is offline

Default Count occurances of text in a cell

Hi,

Your formula should work - I tried it on my version (Excel 2002 SP2) and it
was OK, it also didn't matter if the words in the sheet were upper or lower
case. I know it doesn't solve your problem, but at least you know it should
work!
I looked in options and other places to try and find anything that might
cause it to fail but no luck. Perhaps someone else can shed some light on
it.

Cheers
Nigel

"JayL." wrote in message
Good day,

I have a sheet with numerous text strings all in the same column. I need

search each and return the number of occurances (total) of the words
"medicare" and "eomb" cointained in each string.
I've tried this function:

=COUNTIF(A1:A10,"*medicare*")+COUNTIF(A1:A10,"*eom b*")
but it only counts 1 occurance of each. I need to the total times the word
'medicare occurs plus the total times 'eomb' occurs.

Any suggestions?