Biff

Hi!

Try this:

For "Tom".....

A1 = Tom
B1:T1 = Y Y N Y Y Y N N N N Y Y Y N Y Y Y Y Y

Enter this formula in B2:

=IF(C1<B1,1,"")

Enter this formula in C2 and copy across to T2:

=IF(D1<C1,COLUMNS($B1:C1)-IF(COUNT($B2:B2),LOOKUP(2,1/ISNUMBER($B2:B2),COLUMN($B1:B1)-1),0),"")

To count the number of times Tom said NO twice (or, whatever):

=SUMPRODUCT(--($B$1:$T$1="N"),--($B$2:$T$2=2))

To count the numbr of times Tom said YES 3 times (or, whatever):

=SUMPRODUCT(--($B$1:$T$1="Y"),--($B$2:$T$2=3))

In the above example John accepted 3 times in row twice, 5 times in a
row once, refused 4 times in a row once. Tom accepted 3x once, 4x once,
and
refused 3x twice, 5x once.

I think you have some of these backwards.

Biff

"WOLLAM" wrote in message
Not sure if this is the correct forum but I'll give a shot. Is there a
function in Excel to count if a value appears in a cell, for example, 3
times
in succession? For example:

Accepted Bid
Tom Y Y N Y Y Y N N N N Y Y Y N Y Y Y Y Y
John Y Y Y Y N N N Y N N N N N Y Y Y N N N

Is there a function that will tell me how many times Tom or John accepted
or
refused a bid, on successive days? I am guessing it will have something
do with the 'Count' function but have been unable to find an answer in
Excel
help. In the above example John accepted 3 times in row twice, 5 times in
row once, refused 4 times in a row once. Tom accepted 3x once, 4x once,
and
refused 3x twice, 5x once.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.