Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Dee Veloper Dee Veloper is offline

Default Auto Open won't die or go away

This has been a strange week for me - at least with excel (2002)

I prototyped some code as part of an auto_open sub.
When the application was more advanced I put the auto_open code
into the workbook open event and deleted the auto_open macro.

The next time I opened the file it froze on me. After 20 minutes of
troubleshooting I was able to figure out that it froze because the
auto_open macro was gone.

I put a blank auto_open sub and it ran perfectly, no freeze on open.
I searched all the code (knowing in advance the outcome) and could not
find any reference to auto_open elsewhere in the sheets or modules.

in passing, i have never referenced auto_open in any application i've
created and i have almost always use workbook open instead of
auto_open.....very strange stuff that it freezes without it.

What gives?