Bernard Liengme

The solution is to use another data series with sparse data.
Lets say your x-values are in A1:A1000, y-values in B1:B1000
In C1 enter =IF(MOD(ROW(),50)=1, B1, NA()); copy down to C1000
This displays column B values fro every 50th row and #N/A for those in
between.
Select A1:C1000 and make plot
Format B values as Line only and C values as markers only
Remove legend for B series
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"John" wrote in message
Usually, I have to chart alot of data. I cannot really use color to
distinguish the line and the line styles leave alot to be desired when the
points are close together. Therefore, I use the symbols to better
distinguish the data series. However, with alot of data the symbols make
the
lines just appear fat, again making it difficult to distinguish the line.
Therefore, I loop through the points and set the individual point markers
at
a different frequency for each series. This works great. However, the
legend doesn't display the markers. The first point on every data series
always has a marker. Is there a way to change what the Legend displays
wrt
symbols?

Because I do the symbol addition programmatically the first data series on
chart always has the same look. However, when there is only one series on
the chart the legend changes to show a list of xlCategory values for the
points with the line and symbol style next to them. I need the legend
because the titles are generic for a group of about 50 charts. Is there a
way to prevent this behavior?

XMGR is sooooo much easier at plotting alot of data.

Thanks,
John