Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Mike Carlson Mike Carlson is offline

Default Operation Is Not Allowed When The Object Is Closed

I am getting a "Operation is not allowed when the object is closed" error
message when I try to run the following code. The stored procedure I am
calling works just fine when I execute it from SA and I can see the user I
am specifying in my connection string is actually connected to the SQL
Server but for the life of me I cant figure out why I am getting that error.
It errors out when it is opening the recordset. I am using Excel 2002.

Any help is appreciated.

Option Explicit
Dim MyConn As ADODB.Connection

Sub OpenConnection()
Set MyConn = New ADODB.Connection
MyConn.Open "Provider=SQLOLEDB; Data Source=server.domain.com; Initial
Catalog=dbTest; User ID=usrTest; Password=test; Network Library=dbmssocn;"
End Sub

Function GetRecordSet(ByVal strSQL)
On Error Resume Next

Dim Rs As ADODB.Recordset
Dim arrRs As Variant
Set Rs = New ADODB.Recordset

Rs.Open strSQL, MyConn, adOpenStatic, adLockReadOnly

If Not Rs.EOF Then
arrRs = Rs.GetRows()
End If

Rs.Close
Set Rs = Nothing

If Err.Number 0 Then
MsgBox Err.Source & " " & Err.Description & " " & Err.Number
Exit Function
End If

GetRecordSet = arrRs
End Function

Sub ReleaseObj(ByRef obj, ByVal shouldClose, ByVal shouldSetToNothing)
On Error Resume Next
If shouldClose Then obj.Close
If shouldSetToNothing Then Set obj = Nothing
Err.Clear
End Sub 'ReleaseObj

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
Dim strSQL As String
Dim arrRecords As Variant
Dim X As Long
Dim strStart As String
Dim strEnd As String
Dim strNetChangeStart As String
Dim strNetChangeEnd As String
Dim strMonthSpecifiedStart As String
Dim strMonthSpecifiedEnd As String

' strStart = InputBox("Enter Begin Date", "Begin Date")
' strEnd = InputBox("Enter End Date", "End Date")
' strNetChangeStart = InputBox("Enter The Net Change Start Date", "Net
Change Start Date")
' strNetChangeEnd = InputBox("Enter NetChange End Date", "Net Change End
Date")
' strMonthSpecifiedStart = InputBox("Enter Month Begin Date", "Month
Begin Date")
' strMonthSpecifiedEnd = InputBox("Enter Month End Date", "Month End
Date")

strStart = "12/31/2002"
strEnd = "08/29/2003"
strNetChangeStart = "01/01/2003"
strNetChangeEnd = "07/25/2003"
strMonthSpecifiedStart = "07/26/2003"
strMonthSpecifiedEnd = "08/29/2003"

strSQL = "exec sp_GLData '" & strStart & "','" & strEnd & "','" &
strNetChangeStart & "','" & strNetChangeEnd & "','" & strMonthSpecifiedStart
& "','" & strMonthSpecifiedEnd & "'"
'MsgBox strSQL

Call OpenConnection
arrRecords = GetRecordSet(strSQL)
Call ReleaseObj(MyConn, True, True)

' For X = 0 To UBound(arrRecords, 2)
' ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Rows(X + 1).Cells(1) = arrRecords(0, X)
' ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Rows(X + 1).Cells(2) = arrRecords(1, X)
' ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Rows(X + 1).Cells(3) = arrRecords(2, X)
' ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Rows(X + 1).Cells(4) = arrRecords(3, X)
' ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Rows(X + 1).Cells(5) = arrRecords(4, X) & "
" & arrRecords(5, X)
' Next X
End Sub