Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Conceptor[_2_] Conceptor[_2_] is offline

Default Link .xls cell formula to .xla function

Excel 2000 xla problem:

Hi,

I would like to encapsulate all code from a .xls file
into an .xla (complementary macro) file. My ultimate goal
is to simplify the maintainability of my code: I do not
want to ask users to update their thousands of .xls files
when I do a tiny change in the code. The .xla file seemed
like a good solution: the user's .xls files would not be
affected if I would modify the code, only the .xla file
would need to be replaced.

Using this technique, subs seem to work fine, but
functions don't. Is there a way to also encapsulate
functions code outside of the .xls files?

This is what I attempted:

1) I created a Code.xla file with a single module that has
this code inside:

Public Function Crap(ByVal psName as String) As String
Crap = "Your name is " & psName
End Function

2) I created a new empty ExcelWorkBook.xls file.

3) I referenced the Code.xla file in Excel's menu
Tools/Complementary Macros...

4) I put the following formula into a cell in
ExcelWorkBook.xls:

=Crap("me")

From all this I get

#Name?

as the cell formula result. Which is strange since
the "Formula Zone" pannel that appears when you click on
the "equal" button from our formula cell seems to
recognize the Crap function parameters...

Pointers anyone? (hehe)

Thanks,
C.