Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Harald Staff Harald Staff is offline

Default vbCancel

Probably, but an inputbox will return a string. Text. "1", "5", or similar. If Ans is
declared as a String then the thing is not a number. If it's Long or Double then VBA may
convert it by helpful intelligence -but it will crash merciless if you enter "Dont know"
into the box. Anyway, Cancel returns "" no matter what you prompt for desired entries.

--
HTH. Best wishes Harald
Followup to newsgroup only please.

wrote in message
Maybe, I'm missing something. I thought that he was trying to return a
number between 1 and 5.

Paul

According to help:

If the user clicks OK or presses ENTER , the InputBox function returns
whatever is in the text box. If the user clicks Cancel, the function returns
a zero-length string ("").

you must have Ans dim'd as a number.