Jonathan Cooper

You are probably seeing a carriage return.

For example, go into a cell and type 'Northern' and then hold down alt+enter
and then type in 'Virginia'. This should force the word 'virginia' to be
below the word 'northern', but in the same cell. Depending on the software
your client is using, they could experience a problem with this.

"YuChieh" wrote:

I have a file from client.

A co-work views the file and he can see those little boxes (extra
characters) in the cells. For example - Northern(box)Virginia. He asked me
to fix it - replacing boxes with space, like "Norhtern Virginia".

When I open the file, I don't see the boxes. I see "NorthernVirginia".
Somehow, the system automatically took out the character. But I would like
to put a space betweem words.

Why would this happen?

My co-worker is using Excel 2002; I am using Excel 2003.