Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
J.E. McGimpsey J.E. McGimpsey is offline

Default Reducing Spam Associated with Posting to Newsgroups

Thanks for pointing that out - I'd used the ROT-13 as an example in
another post and forgot to change it back.

I used ROT-13 from about 1987-2001. I stopped when I got my mvps.org
address - the domain owner is death on spam, and while in the first
few days of swen I received over 10,000 messages to that account,
I'm down to just a few per day now. On my other email accounts, I
have spam filters that work very well, too, though since the domain
was spoofed I filter out quite a few more...

Frankly, both spam traps and ROT-13 are extremely vulnerable to spam
bots, with spam traps having the edge because they can be more
unpredictable. It doesn't take a lot of processing power to figure
out that a string with an "@" in the middle and ending in .ay has a
99.9% probability of being a ROT-13 address from the Netherlands,
especially since .ay isn't a valid TLD.

Thankfully, spammers don't seem to want to spend even that small
amount of horsepower.

In article ,
keepitcool wrote:

Nope.. didnt check.
Why should I send an email to reply to a newsgroup post?

I see you only use encoding since yesterday. I've been using it since
july2002 and so far so good! ..

I can('t) appreciate your enthousiasm though :)

As it's a mechanical decode, it's too easy for spammers to include in
their parsing engines...once they wake up. So please dont flaunt it?

--
Email address ROT-13'd for spam reduction
see www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/groupspam.html to decode