bj

try
if book names are in Column A starting row 3
=indirect("[" & A3 & "]Sheet1!A1)

"Laramie" wrote:

I need to build a spreadsheet that will reference the same cell in about
300 workbooks (all Sheet1). I would like to build a list of the
workbook names in the first column, then write a formula, that I could
copy down, which would pick up the worksheet names.
For example:

_File_Name_ _Formula__
8801.xls =[ ]Sheet1!$a$1

8802.xls
8803.xls

How can I get the file name in the first column into the formula in the
second column, without all of it converting to text? In effect, I'm
trying to set up links with external files without opening each of the
files and manually linking.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

--
Laramie