Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Status Bar...

James,

Try using FileSearch

With Application.FileSearch
.NewSearch
.LookIn = "d:\Bob\My Documents\My Spreadsheets"
.SearchSubFolders = False ' True to include subfolders
.Filename = "*.xls"
.MatchTextExactly = True
.FileType = msoFileTypeExcelWorkbooks
.Execute
myFNames = .FoundFiles.Count
End With

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"James Weaver" wrote in message
I am using the following code to identify the filenames in
a specified directory:

myFNames = Dir("*.xls")

Is there any way of counting how many files this
comprises? I want to have the status bar showing an
update of what is going on behind the scenes...

Hope you can help!

Many thanks,
James