postitnote

I can't post an exact cell because they are actual SSNs which is why I always
give obvious examples.

I can tell you that there are two columns which contain the SSNs, one is
titled SSN and the other is MRN (medical record number). The SSN column is
fomatted as a SSN so you just type in the number and hit enter and the dashes
show up automatically. The MRN column is set up as an SSN in Portuguese (do
the same steps to format it as an SSN but when it asks you for location it
says "Portugal") so there are no dashes. When I change either of these
columns to text or number, the 0's at the beginning and end disappear. With
over 11K names per list, there's no way I can go thru and add all the 0's
back in.

So the formula bar for the SSN column reads the same number but without the
dashes and the 0's at the beginning or end, and the formula bar for the MRN
column reads this same number as well.

SSN MRN
000-42-0200 000420200

fx: 420200