Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tom Ogilvy Tom Ogilvy is offline

Default Accessing different versions of Excel VBA from another application

The user doesn't save the file with updated references in VB as Bradley
describes.

Tom Ogilvy

Bill Barclift wrote in message
I would still approach it this way. Get a copy of someones older Excel

type
library file called Excel8.olb or Excel9.olb. Put it on your computer

(you
don't need to do anything with it, just get a copy of it) and reference it
before you save the Autocad file. This should work fine for your users.

(I
haven't tried this in VBA but have done it many times in VB....I think it
should work fine in VBA, as well)

Bill Barclift

"Bradley Dawson" wrote in message
I like that, but the office computer is up to date and only references

the
latest version, user's home computer's usually have older versions.

Also,
once the program is run on a newer version, that seems to become the
reference and won't run on older versions.
Since I'm a newbie, I'll have to read up on this "binding" that I have
skipped over so much. Thanks for the help.

"Bill Barclift" wrote in message
Late binding WILL cause a perforance hit.....depending on your

particular
application, this may or may not be acceptable. I would early bind

and
reference an earlier version of Excel (like 97 or 2000, assuming you

don't
use any features not supported by these apps). If the user has a new
version of Excel you will be fine.

Bill Barclift

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote in message
Use late binding - don't have a reference to excel.

INFO: Writing Automation Clients for Multiple Office Versions

INFO: Using Early Binding and Late Binding in Automation

INFO: Use DISPID Binding to Automate Office Applications Whenever

Possible

Tom Ogilvy

Bradley Dawson wrote in message
I often run Excel VBA applications from AutoCAD, but the reference

Excel
is particular to the company's computer that I use. When it is

run
on
another computer with a different version of Excel, the

application
fails.
Is there a way to check for Excel versions and apply the correct
application
reference?