Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Terry von Gease Terry von Gease is offline

Default Excel developers mindset

"Jim Rech" wrote in message
Don't assume that someone doesn't know something because he doesn't

mention
it in a brief post.

No, sport, I assumed you didn't know something because you responded that
something that works just fine thank you in the rest of the galaxy wouldn't
work properly there in your village. It wasn't lack of information, it was
erroneous information.

I was a proficient assembly language programmer long
before I touched Excel.

Doubtful. Not that you did it, but that you were profcient at it.

Anyway, there wasn't much point in mentioning
something that would not apply in this case. Bitmasks are great for
true/false on/off properties but it would be hard to apply them to the

Font
property since the value of say Font.Name is a string.

Twaddle. What possible effect could the constituency of Font.X have on
Font.Y if you didn't want it to have any?

All in all I think
the MS developers did a great job with Excel's object model.

You're setting off my bull**** detector. Most object nonsense is contrived
and gratuitous. The actual need for it is minuscule. Religious addiction to
object models lead to exactly what windows and it's various pieces are.
Incoherent collections of ways to do things that sort of work sometimes.
It's a way to do something, it sure as hell isn't the only way nor is it
necessarily the best way. Just a way.

You give every appearance, like many of your fellow travelers in this
sandbox, to possess prodigious knowledge of Excel and it's environment. This
is a Good Thing, and I'm glad that you're about and willing to share. I kid
you not.

But, from what I've seen in these waters, that there isn't a one of you
capable of writing commercial grade code or understanding the nuances
thereof. This doesn't seem to prevent any of you from holding forth as if
you do. There is always someone who knows less than you about something and,
oh happy day, if you can rustle up someone who knows nothing at all then
anything can look a whole hell of a lot like everything to that poor
creature and you can pose godlike in front of them.

--
Terry

"I said I never had much use for one,
I never said I didn't know how to use one."
M. Quigley