Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Don Wiss Don Wiss is offline

Default Extract Workbook name from pathname ?

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 16:54:00 -0700, Bill Li wrote:

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 19:25:58 -0400, Don Wiss wrote:

Using Application.GetOpenFilename I can find what file the user would like
to open. But before opening I want to be sure the file isn't already open.
Having the filename I can loop through the set of Application.Workbooks and
check. Problem is the GetOpenFilename returns the full pathname, and
Workbooks is a list of filenames only. So how do I easily extract the
filename from the pathname? I looked around and could not find a function.
If I have to I can loop through the name, find the slash (or colon), and do
a Right. But I would think that there is an easier way.

Try ActiveWorkbook.Path

Uh, how does that help me? I have a pathname in a string variable. (A
pathname in a string variable is the result of GetOpenFilename.) What
ActiveWorkbook I have open, and is running the macro, is irrelevant to the
problem.

Don <donwiss at panix.com.