Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming
dvt dvt is offline

Default turning lines on/off on a set of charts

Tuang wrote:
I have a set of columns and each contains a list of parameters that
describe a scenario. (Not any Excel-specific meaning of "scenario" (I
think there is such a thing), but just the ordinary meaning of "it
could be like this, or like this, or this...." parameter lists).

I may input the descriptions of ten different scenarios, and then I
have a set of charts for viewing the various implications of the
scenarios. Having ten lines on a single chart is way too confusing.
I'm usually interested in contrasting just two or three of them at a
time. If this were an ordinary app, I'd have a checkbox above each
column of parameters that would stand for "include in charts? yes or
no?".

I don't understand exactly what you're charting. But let me throw out a few
suggestions.

First, you could transpose your data. One row would be a set of parameters,
each row a different scenario. Then you could filter the data to exclude
any unwanted scenarios.

Second, keeping your existing data set, you could hide columns. You could
set the chart to not plot hidden cells, which would eliminate the unwanted
scenarios.

Finally, you might wish to consider a pivot chart. The pivot chart gives a
check-box list that allows you to select the data that appears on the chart.
I think that might be the slickest option. If you're unfamiliar with pivot
charts, go see this site:
http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/...pivotstart.htm

Dave
dvt at psu dot edu