Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default VBA Excel: Opening Very Large Text Files

And there are versions of grep that have been ported to the windows platform.

Take a look at www.shareware.com for grep.

or maybe a DOS equivalent:

find /i "searchstring" source_file output_file
(that looks kind of familiar???)

But I think I'd check to see how big a file DOS's Find will work with. (I don't
recall if there's a limit.)

Frank Isaacs wrote:

wrote in message

I know what I really need to do: Learn Unix shell or perl scripting so
I can do the text parsing in Unix, and then bring the output file into
Excel.

Ask, and you shall receive:

grep search_string source_file output_file

(obviously, replace search_string, source_file, and output_file
accordingly.)
--
HTH -

-Frank