Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
[email protected] d.winkler@cox.net is offline

Default VBA Excel: Opening Very Large Text Files

Trying to open very large text files (200 MB+) using an Excel VBA
program.

I am first using the "Open text_filename For Input As #1" command to
open the file.

I then use a "Do While Not EOF(1)" loop and within that use "Line
Input #1" command to look at one line at at time and parse for a
specific text string

(If line has the desired text string, I am then printing the entire
line to a new text output file; the new output file will be much
smaller)

I tested my program on smaller text files and it works, but the 200 MB
huge files are causing Excel to lock up.

Questions:
- I thought the use of the "Line Input #1" would allow me to read one
line of text at a time? So even though text file is very large, I only
look at one line at at time.

- Or is "Open filename For Input" command still causing Excel to have
to open the entire 200 MB file?

- Is there some other way I can parse out the text lines I want from
such a huge text file?