Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
steve steve is offline

Default duplicate names

Ada.

Say that the first name is in cell A2
Than in cell E1 (if it is empty, if not than use F1, if not than G1, ....)
put the formula:
=Countif(A:A,A2)
fill this down to the last row.
Than select all the rows and sort on column E ( or F, or G, or ...)
All the 1's will float to the top and the remainder will be below them.
Go to the first occurance of a 2 and select all the rows from there to the
bottom. Than delete the rows. Clear the formulas and you are done.

--
sb
"Ada" wrote in message
I have a spread sheet with about 5,000 names, addresses,
phone # and fax #.

I would like to get rid of the duplicates... without
doing them one by one or shift highlight then delete...

can anyone help me?