Tom

Great help, thanks!
Now, what if I'd like to use some exponential or weighted averaging? That
is, in exponential/weighted averaging the most recent value is of great
weight than an older value. In the '10-day temperature' example, yesterday's
temperature of 90-degrees is better and weighted more than the temperature of
58-degrees of ten days ago.
How do I do the exponential/weighted average? Do I have to create my own
formula for my 'own' average methodology (non-standard)?
Thanks

"Biff" wrote:

Ooops!

Correction:

=AVERAGE(OFFSET(A$1,(ROW(1:1)-1)*10,,E$1))

Should be:

=AVERAGE(OFFSET(A$1,(ROW(1:1)-1)*E$1,,E$1))

Biff

"Biff" wrote in message
Hi!

Assume your values to average are in column A, starting in A1.

Enter the interval you want to use in a cell, say, E1.

E1 = 10

=AVERAGE(OFFSET(A$1,(ROW(1:1)-1)*10,,E$1))

Copy down until you get #DIV/0! errors meaning the data has been
exhausted.

Depending on the interval size, the last average may not be a full
interval.

Biff

"Tom" wrote in message
I have a need to calculate a 10-interval vs x-interval moving average.
Without totaling the last '10' measurements and dividing by 10 to get an
average and then comparing it to, say, '13' by totaling the last 13 and
dividing by 13, how can I make the calculations vary by the '# of
intervals'?
For example, if I want to average the high temperatures from Jan 1-Dec
31, I
have 365 intervals. If I want to compare the 10 day average vs a 13 day
average I can establish the formula pretty easy for the SPECIFIC number
of
days. I want to vary the # days, in this example, so I can see if I can
spot
trends in the data.
So how do I do the GENERAL case of x-intervals?
TIA