Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Ant Waters Ant Waters is offline

Default Attaching a JET database to an Excel Worksheet OR storing large binary data in a worksheet

I am writing a VB DLL / xla that needs to be able to programmatically attach
a JET database to a worksheet, and then re-open it later on. This needs to
happen without user intervention. So far I have considered the following:

1) Using the Insert Object approach to store the database in an OLE
object...BUT:
(a) How do you do it programmatically?
(b) It seems to be application specific, so would only work if the user
had Access.
Is there a generic object packager that I have missed, and that can be
called through VB code, and that is guaranteed to be on all machines?

2) Reading the JET database into a byte array, converting to a string, and
saving in the workbook...
The read and convert seemed to work OK but all attempts to save to a
workbook failed, even if I just try to save the first 100 characters. I
guess that the string contains nasty characters that excel won't allow to be
saved to a cell? Is there anwhere else I can save it in a workbook?

A related question is whether it is possible to re-open the JET database
without first saving to a file i.e. open it in-memory only. I know this
isn't an Excel question but someone might know the answer.

Thanks in advance,

Ant Waters