Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
robbinma[_3_] robbinma[_3_] is offline

Default Numbers being stored as text not as numbers (SpecialCells)

Hi,

I am struggling with a problem with Excel 2000 although I suspect it
may be the same for other versions.

I have a spreadsheet which has a column which has numbers in its
cells.

When I try loading this using TransferSpreadsheet a number of the cells
fail to load because of "Type conversion errors"

Looking at the problem fields they all appear to be numbers with
nothing to indicate that they are anything other than numbers.

When I run this macro in Excel
(http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/tips/tip28.htm) it displays the data type
that the SpecialCells function thinks are in problem cells.
The macro reports that the SpecialCells says they are text values.

If I manually clear the contents and retype the values then they are
numbers as they should be.

A *nasty* side effect of manually changing these is that if I then save
the file Excel complains that it is broken and needs to repair itself.
It tries to reinstall the VBA6.msi file but that fails with an install
errors 2709 & 1603.

My IT helpdesk is looking at it but I suspect this will be beyond
them.

Does anyone know:
a) What has caused this problem in the first place
b) If there is an easy way of solving this without having to write a
macro that loops around all the cells and checks what they and changes
them as necessary
c) How I can stop this in the future when the users enter the data...

Cheers,

Mark