Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
kiat kiat is offline

Default Writing an Excel Spreadsheet via a program's output

Try the Help in excel, F1 key or the menu. Also do some searches on google.

"Blake" wrote in message
om...
Hi folks,
I'm new to this forum, but hopefully someone has an idea on the below
situation.

First of all, I am not a Windows programmer (VB, VBScript, Visual C++,
ASP, etc). I have written several programs using Unix shell scripting
(bash, sed, grep, etc) that are not really anything more than "find a
string and output that string to an outfile". Over the iterations, I
have upgraded it to write out in a tab delimited format and even
included a cell that totals the contents of column B (included:
=SUM(B1..B300) in my last cell. All along, I have just written the
file as tab delimited plain text with a .xls extension.

I am sensing an upcoming need to explore more of Excel's functions,
like bolding text, writing to different worksheets in the same
workbook, etc. Does anyone know of a resource that explains Excel
file formatting to the degree that I can produce an Excel file as the
output to a simple program?

Many thanks,
Blake Thompson