Bobby Mir

no new suggestions on this guys?? any help would be appreciated.

thanks in advance,
bobby

"Bobby" wrote in message
i've figured out a rather crude way of doing things. i've got my list
referencing a cell that's hidden on the spreadsheet. basically there's 46
items in the drop down list and this cell just indicates a number from 1

46 depending on what item is chosen on the list. then i have written a
formula to read that cell and then change all other relevant cells with
their corresponding values. problem is i can't list more than 7 IF
statements as we all know, and the more practical way to do it would be
using VLOOKUP. i can't seem to figure out how to go about it. i know i can
define formulas and create sets of nested IF statements eventually leading
to a 46 IF statement formula.

here's an example:
item1 selected in drop down list
cell N11 then indicates a value of 1
then we'll say cell D32 has this formula in it =IF(N11=1, 'Sheet2'!D4, 0)
so D32 changes to the value of D4 on Sheet2.

this may sound rather mundane and a long route to what i'm looking for, so
if you guys have any suggestions i would definitely appreciate it.

thanks!!

bobby

"Bobby Mir" wrote in message
hi there,

i'm looking to find out if anyone can help with a certain task i've been
trying to accomplish. what i have in an excel sheet is a list of

reference
codes to different items set up as a drop down list. what i'm trying to

do
now is, whenever i select an item in the drop down list, i want a

different
cell on the sheet to change in value, number value that is. does anyone

have
any suggestions on how i could go about this? the drop down list is

pretty
long...i'd say atleast 50 or so items.

example:
i choose reference code "2B5-2312" from the drop down list, and then i

want
cell B1 to change to whatever the value of that code is...so in this

case
its a numeric value of 12.

again, choosing reference code "TXL-3451" should give a numeric value of

24
in cell B1.

hope this helps explain what i'm trying to do! any help would be
appreciated.

thanks,
bobby